Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Yumeee Gumbo

We went out to eat and the restaurant had Jambalaya. It was so delicious I decided I wanted to make some this week. First, I researched the difference between Jambalaya and Gumbo because though it was labeled as Jambalaya, I thought it was Gumbo. I was indeed correct. Jambalaya has only andouille sausage while Gumbo has a variety of meats.

Here is what I came up with:


olive oil and 1/2 stick butter

3-4 tbs chopped garlic

1/2 bag frozen okra

1 onion julliened

1 lb stewing beef --cut into bite size pieces

1/4 cup flour- i use whole wheat flour

4 tbs thyme

1tsp salt

2 tsp pepper

1 can of whole tomatoes--WITH liquid--chopped into quarters

1 cup chicken stock

1 cup water

3 medium sized andouille sausage

one dozen medium shrimp

hot sauce to taste

2-4 cups of brown rice

The prep was done on the stove but I simmered in the crock pot after that.


In a large pot put 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp butter

heat oil and melt butter then add onions and okra

add one tbsp thyme

saute until tender crisp

put into crock pot

add 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup flour-- melt and incorporate until a chocolate brown color and consistency,

add beef and brown

add one tbsp thyme

Put beef into crock pot

in large pot-add stock and scrape the piece from the bottom of the pan with a whisk

add water

add tomatoes

add 1 tbsp thyme, salt and pepper

add liquids to crock pot

add last of thyme

Stir and cook for 4 hours in crock pot on low

take off lid and add sausage and shrimp

Cook another 30 mins-- take out gumbo for children or people who do not like spicy and then add hot sauce to taste to the remainder. I used about 1/4 cup and added more to my bowl.

Serve with rice and salad.

I made Cucumber and apple salad--cut large chunks of gala apples and cucumbers, add 2 tbsp thyme
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar.

very refreshing to the spice of the gumbo

YUMEEE

Enjoy,

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment