Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

cornish game hens

I was hesitant to make cornish game hens but i love miniature things and they look like mini chickens so I decided to try it!

I found a recipe on foodtv.com and as usual, I made it my own.

Cornish Game Hens stuffed with brown rice

RICE

I used regular brown rice--not instant and followed package directions. I added about 2 tsp garlic powder and 2 tsp thyme, salt and pepper ( two turns of the grinders). Instead of water I used chicken stock. 2 cups stock to 1 cup rice.


HENS
I cleaned out the hens and sprinkled them inside and out with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme.

When the rice is almost finished (cooked about 30 mins) remove about half to stuff into the birds. Let the rest continue cooking on the stove.

Stuff the birds with rice and put about a 1/4 inch of stock in the bottom of the baking pan.

Bake on 450 degrees ( about 50 mins) until you poke it and juices are clear.

Pour juices out of pan into a small pot to make gravy and put the birds back into a 500 degree oven to crisp the skin for 5-7 mins.

Add 1 tbsp cornstarch to juices add salt, pepper, garlic, thyme and boil to thicken.

I served applesauce and a salad with the birds.

YUMEEE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment